Sunday, September 12, 2010

Another Painted Suitcase With Some Subway Art

Months ago I painted an ugly blue suitcase and stenciled a harlequin diamond pattern on top.  It is still one of my favorite makeovers.

IMG_3944

The ugly blue suitcase had a big brother.  I thought it was time to reunite them because I like the look of stacked vintage suitcases.

So I dug out Big Blue and dusted him off. 

IMG_3947

I gave him a coat of spray paint with Krylon’s Brown Boots.

He already looks better to me.

IMG_3948

But he needed more.  My husband’s family is lucky enough to have a website devoted to his  family record.  You can go here if you want to see it.   I used it to make some subway art with my new Cricut.  It took me a long time to figure it all out and I was glad several of my blogging friend recommended the software program Make the Cut.  It helped so much with my layout.  You can only program 14 characters at a time with a cartridge.   I did have to buy a USB cord to connect it to my computer. 

I used contact paper and after much thought I decided trying to stick it evenly on the suitcase would be a bigger nightmare than the tedious job of peeling off all those little letters from the sticky cutting mat.  So I just taped it down.

IMG_3963

And in the late night hours I painted it and was sick to my stomach when I realized I forgot Abraham’s dates.  And then I puked.  Not really, but I wanted to.  I had spent hours on this and I just couldn’t get myself to redo it.   So I added tiny little dates under his name so that it would be there, but not take away from the look of  it.

IMG_3970

I glazed it because I wanted the suitcase to look old. I know it doesn’t have the stark crisp letters of subway art, but it works for me.

IMG_3972

Can you believe the first Deupree on here lived for so long.  96 years.  That was a long time back then.  Heck, it is a long time now.  Thomas didn’t live very long.  Abraham’s dates were the tiny 1811-1876 if you couldn’t read it from the above photo. And the other William had a long life as well.   Thankfully, my father in law, husband and son only have birth dates.  Aren’t you thankful that my son’s name is David and not Roy #4?  I know I am.  Both my husband and father in law go by Roy or Dan.  It is very confusing.  People often think I have 2 husbands because I call him Dan and he goes by Roy at work. 

IMG_3968

You can’t see the art when I stack the suitcases together, but I know it is there. 

IMG_3978

  IMG_3977

I think it was worth most of my Saturday to get this done.  Maybe it will inspire you to add some family history to a project.  What would you make?

Tracy

Linking to

Weekend Wrap Up @ Tatertots andJello

Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch

Making Monday Marvelous @ C.R.A.F.T.

Anything Related @ All Thingz Related

The Power of Paint @ Domestically Speaking

Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts

Transformation Thursdays @ The Shabby Chic Cottage

Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple

Show and Tell @ My Romantic Home

Pretty in Paint

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails